Sunday, January 3, 2010

Ahhh...

A fresh layer of white snow covers the ground and tree branches this morning. Since yesterday ... a heat wave. It is now zero degrees.

There's a flurry of activity around the bird feeders this morning. I watch the dash and flutter of squirrels and birds as I ready for my TCC practice and then I decide: I'll slow my own pace down.

Over many years as a t'ai chi practitioner--both t'ai chi ch'uan and t'ai chi chih--I've settled into a habitual practice speed. Today, inspired by the knowledge that this is the final day of our Solstice/Christmas/New Year holiday--knowing that tomorrow a faster pace will resume--I decelerate.

What can I say? It feels wonderful! I soften and relax into the slowness. I sense the energy more intensely. Yes, I also experience the muscles in my legs working harder than they usually do. I feel my knees as they bear my weight for a longer period of time. Yet I also notice my mind slowing down. Relaxing. Calming.

My practice time is stretched out--longer--today. By moving more slowly I've managed to slow down more than body alone. My mind idles.... My spirit breathes.... Ahhh ...

No comments: