Friday, December 11, 2009

Snow-covered, Sun-drenched

Today ... the sun. When I rise, it is ten degrees below zero. A fresh layer of lake effect snow rests upon the already heavily-blanketed earth.

During TCC practice I feel as if I've arrived at the scene of a party except ... it's the morning after. A deep layer of white frosting covers the earth. And, in a rush to frost and decorate the cake, the busy baker raised the beaters out of the mixing bowl before they stopped spinning. Frosting sprayed everywhere. Spruce branches are covered with the stuff. It's spattered against bare trunks of trees, over naked branches, and, occasionally, a whiff of breeze topples fresh drops onto the earth.

A feeling of celebration lingers in the air. And, from an azure sky, sunlight sparkles over everything.

The woods bursts with excitement and possibility.... My palms tingle with energy throughout my practice. And I quietly tell the trees that I love them.  I feel secure and protected in their silent presence; held in the circle of their arms.

No comments: