Thursday, December 17, 2009

Keeping Still

Quiet, bubbling energy during this morning's TCC practice. Am I still riding the tide of energy from last night's World Peace meditation? Whatever the reason, I joined the harmonious strains of today's dawning and it sings in me still.

My youngest brother called me last night around 5:45 pm. He's not a t'ai chi practitioner of any sort but a fan nonetheless. Years ago he watched me practice t'ai chi ch'uan in my parent's yard then commented, half-seriously, that he didn't need to learn himself because simply by watching me he felt more peaceful.

Yesterday he read my TCC blog entries for the first time. "So," he inquired, "why haven't you practiced today?"

Yes! I'm glad to be asked that question. And, truthfully, that was part of my intent in starting this blog. I've made a commitment to myself to practice TCC daily. Now, though, I have a growing support system of friends and readers who expect me to practice and who will ask me why when I don't. That's a good thing!

Americans have tremendous support from our culture and the world of advertising to engage in unhealthy and even destructive behaviors like overspending, overscheduling, and overindulging (i.e., eating sugar, smoking, and drinking too much coffee, alcohol, soda, etc.). Can we build communities of people who support us in practicing greater self-care?
And now we will count to twelve
and we will all keep still ...
     Pablo Neruda, Earth Prayers, 1991, p. 394

No comments: