Thursday, December 24, 2009

Bertie Flaps Her Wings

Had a great practice at the Minneapols-St. Paul airport yesterday (Dec. 23) as I awaited my flight for Baltimore. Lots of energy circled/cycled around me from walkers, gate-waiters, cell phone conversationalists, and the airport tram passing right outside the window I faced. Unending traffic, traffic, traffic entered the airport to drop off and pick up passengers as I moved, s-l-o-w-l-y.

I haven't practiced in such a public place for years. It tooks me a few minutes to establish focus even though I turned my back to the people moving behind me and placed my attention toward the movement outside "my" window.

A brief loss of balance near the end of Rocking Motion and another sideways swerve as I watched the tram outside were my main distractions. Amazingly, it was easy to focus and relax/recharge.

Today (Dec. 24) I practiced inside my sister's apartment right on the Inner Harbor in downtown Baltimore. Her apartment is one block from the water and faces directly onto the waterfront so my practice was washed with sunshine. Sun streamed through the windows and reflected off the water in the harbor. I was struck by the beauty of nature, even within the boundaries of a large city.

Berty Wooster, the dove, watched my entire practice from her perch in the bird cage. She eyed me with interest and eventually returned to her own activity ... grooming.

It was wonderful to practice in the sun's light and warmth (an unusual occurrence in Bayfield this time of year). My sister's at work, my brother is putting together a plant stand in the other room, and me ... I'm flowing with the chi.

I'm glad to have this regular practice as all else around me changes and fluxes during this trip.

No comments: