Sunday, November 29, 2009

Coming to Light

I watched the woods come to light today. I'd hoped to see a gleaming, pink-orange sunrise over Lake Superior.... But, though a three-quarter moon shone brightly through our windows last evening, this morning is dark, overcast. We live on the Bayfield peninsula which juts out into Lake Superior. Late fall skies are often filled with clouds formed by moisture from the still-unfrozen lake. A day, an hour, a few minutes of sunshine is a delight.

Starting my practice in darkness and ending in light felt dramatically different. The energy is distinctive: in the darkness I wished for quiet comfort. I felt compelled to make more intuitive choices about the movements I performed and the manner in which I moved my body. My practice varied from the typical routine: Rocking Motion--two sets (18 total), then Passing Clouds, two sets.

As the morning lightened, energy shifted. The pace of life surged as Lake Superior flashed into view, silvery water reflecting blue-grey sky. Rust-brown leaves shone from the ground as birds flew to the feeder area. A woodpecker hung from the suet pecking out breakfast.

I didn't think about what movements came next but let my body decide. I now felt ready to extend myself further, activate my body more. Two sets of Working the Pulley were followed by all variations of the Taffies, three sets each.

The Lights and Healing Sounds carried me to the end of my practice.

One of my long-time students mentioned recently that she needed to change the atmosphere and time of her practice. Often she found herself practicing while coffee brewed and the clock ticked closer to work time. She recognized that her morning routine pulled her out of the quiet softness of a slow, relaxed, not-on-a-schedule practice.

This morning's practice invited me into a deeper exploration of how my own practice varies from darkness to light. It's inspiration, I guess, to rise earlier, practice in greater darkness. And feel, simply feel, the difference.

No comments: